Prep & Care
The Tanning Timeline
Several Weeks and up to the Day Before Your Tan
- Exfoliate and moisturize your skin daily. Scrub gently as to not damage your skin. We suggest Get Buffed by Pro Tan.
- Start shaving your skin regularly (men as well). You will need to shave everywhere that will be tanned. Your last shower/shave should be at least 24 hours prior. (Wax a few days to a week prior – See below)
- Try to avoid applying any adhesives such as rock tape or band-aids. Even waxing can irritate the skin that may be visible when the tanning solution is applied.
- If you can get a base tan from the sun or tanning bed, do so slowly to make sure you do not burn. Peeling can occur up to several weeks after a burn.
- Try to get your manicures and pedicures done at least 2 days prior.
On the Day of Your Tan
- Do NOT apply lotion, deodorant or makeup. (If you have oily skin, do not apply lotion several days before.)
- Do NOT wear jewelry or bring luggage to your appointment. Radiance Spray Tanning is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Check with your makeup artist about tanning your face. We only do this at your request, as most do not suggest it. For males, we typically spray the face on Saturday morning to blend the color.
- Bring loose, dark clothing and flip flops to wear after your tan. Avoid elastic bands, straps and carrying heavy bags/backpacks on your shoulders.
- If you have long hair, please have your hair up and off of your body.
- Men bodybuilders may want to bring a sock, thong or old posing trunks to tan in. (Please make sure they are smaller than your stage trunks)
Immediately After Your Tan
- Competitors, DO NOT SHOWER!
- Try to avoid sweating and contact with water. Placing toilet paper in the toilet before use will help prevent splashing.
- Skin to skin contact tends to rub off the tanning solution; therefore long sleeves and pants are recommended while sleeping.
- Bring your own wash cloths, towels, sheets and pillow case with you to use in the hotel and/or your car.
Post Competition Tan Care
- Do not try to scrub the tan off, this may cause a blotchy/spotted appearance.
- Moisturize your skin often. Twice a day is recommended as the tanning solution tends to dry out the skin.
- If you wish to speed up the process of removing your tan, we suggest lathering your body in baby oil and then soaking in a warm bath. Once you see the tan start to lift from your skin, then start lightly scrubbing your skin to help remove it. Use an old or dark towel when drying off to help remove even more of the tan. This may need to be done several times before the tan is completely removed. (Do not use this process if you will be getting another spray tan during the same week)
- Pregnant or nursing women should consult their physician before their session.
- The spray tan ingredient DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) has been approved only for external application and should not be inhaled or ingested internally.
- This product does not contain a sunscreen and does not protect against sunburn.
- By booking a tan with Radiance Spray Tanning, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Waiver and Liability Release.